Our research is focusing on the affect Social Media on Learning Motivation.
We designed and implemented a recommender system for:
1) Expressing goals and purposes for learning a subject,
2) Observing messages from peers on Twitter or using the same application,
3) Evaluating the perception on motivation and properties related to the goal.
- S. Louvigné, Y. Kato, N. Rubens, and M. Ueno, “SNS messages Recommendation for Learning Motivation”, Artificial Intelligence in Education (AIED), 2015, pp. 237-246.
This goal-based messages recommender web application is available here: Goal-based Recommender System
My first paper consisted in trying to understand learners’ motivations / goals. Too often learners fail to find goals for learning they can relate to because only few of them are suggested to them (from teachers, peers) and they don’t fit with their skills, capabilities, interests. In this project we presented how a large variety of goals collected from Social Media can help learners observe and adopt the goals they will find useful for their own learning experience and satisfaction.
- S. Louvigné, N. Rubens, F. Anma, and T. Okamoto, “Utilizing Social Media for Observational Goal Setting”, IASTED Computers and Advanced Technology in Education (CATE), 2012, vol. 774, pp. 205-210.